Martha Who?

or...who really has it all, while keeping it all together?

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, September 25, 2006

You Can Be a Winner at the Game of Life!

The Mr. and I just got back from signing (and paying for ugh) our first term life insurance policies. The following are my favorite highlights from this meeting.

10. "So you guys have a Standard policy. As you know we had hoped for Preferred Plus rates, but you guys didn't qualify for it. You didn't even qualify for regular Preferred. So that's, like TWO steps below where we wanted to be!" -- our insurance agent

9. "I just assumed since you guys were young and healthy that nothing would come up during your medical exams. But you guys both have some serious cholesterol issues. Unfortunate." -- our insurance agent.

8. "Mrs. _____________, you know, the cholesterol cut-off for even getting life insurance is 300. Thankfully we're giving you the benefit of the doubt that it will resolve itself after your baby is born." -- our insurance agent.

7. "And I'm eating lots of oatmeal now." -- Mr. MarthaWho
"Oh good! I've heard that really works!" -- the insurance agent

6. So, does this policy, cover, like -- everything? Even terrorist attacks and stuff?" -- Mr. MarthaWho.

5. "This policy covers anything except suicide. But even that is covered after 2 years!" -- the insurance agent.

4. "Great. So we'll look at your cholesterol levels in a year and I'm sure we can get you guys a better rate at that time. Usually we like to see a 12 month history of bloodwork. But of course, it has to be a good twelve months ..." -- the insurance agent

3. "Now, I know you both contribute to your employer sponsored retirement plans, but did you guys know that you make too much money to open Roth IRA's? Unfortunate! I'd like to talk to you about a way you could get around that by opening another Life Insurance policy." -- the agent.

2. "Everyone thinks we make a lot of money, but I don't feel like we have anything extra to be opening additional policies and retirement accounts right now. Are we missing something that other people our age know about in terms of being better prepared for the future? I guess we're on the path to adulthood now. That's what I've learned from this experience." -- Mr. MarthaWho upon leaving the agent's office.

1. "That's interesting. The only thing I've learned is that on the morning of your cholesterol test for term life insurance you really should follow their advice and not eat. Those two seventy five cent Dunkin Donuts I had that morning just cost me an extra $400 a year."

###

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home