Martha Who?

or...who really has it all, while keeping it all together?

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Mercury and Me

Yesterday, in the USAirways terminal at LaGuardia, on an interminably long delay between legs of a business trip flight, I purchased a book called "Marley and Me" and sat down to kill some time. I had seen the author, Josh Grogan, in a quick TV interview last week, and although I was only half listening, the subject matter (pet dog) was interesting, and I gathered that the book was becoming somewhat of a cultural phenomenon, as it rapidly tore up the bestseller lists, unseating the Joan Didions and Sue Graftons and Clive Cusslers along the way. ( a quick check shows that Marley is now second only to some memoir written by Laci Peterson's mother -- a quick pulse-check on issues that are most sacred to literate Americans -- grisly homicides and treasured pets).

Anyone, anywhere who has loved and lost a pet, should read this gem. It's no spoiler to know what the press already announces -- that the book is a memoir of a dog's life. The author recounts the 14 years of Marley's life, from the moment he leaps into their lives, until he quietly crosses the rainbow bridge to that big doggie park in the sky, and of course everything in between... managing to both entertain and touch an enormous heartstring, while capturing the essence of life with a Labrador Retriever.

Back at LaGuardia, perhaps the only person in a business suit sobbing like a red-headed stepchild for two hours, I devoured Marley's adventures, and reflected on the impact that pets have had in my own life.

I came home to my cozy snow-covered house late last evening, and as Mr. MarthaWho was busy putting our daughter to bed, my Lab Mercury was my welcome wagon. I sobbed all over again, as I let him jump all over my suit, my laptop, and tear apart my purse... Mercury is a youngster... barring any unforeseen tragedies or illnesses, I have at least 5 or even up to 10 more slobber-ful years with my loyal companion, but last night after reading this book, I was somehow already mourning the death of my bestest boy.

Surely by the weekend he'll be back to his second-class citizenship status, but last night he slept at the foot of our bed and there were a few extra cookies in his bowl when he woke up.

Mr. Grogan, Mercury and Me thank you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bourgeois Deviant said...

Oh good LORD! I almost got weepy reading this entry. I won't read the book, though. I can't have a dog just yet and reading that will make the DTs of not being able to have one that much worse.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hey I finally did your meme. Not easy! I've linked to you now as well.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same with me! I finished reading the book yeasterday with tears rolling down non stop. I too hugged and kissed my dog and asked my husband if there is anything we can do to make her life as long and healthy as possible.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home