Martha Who?

or...who really has it all, while keeping it all together?

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Friday, January 20, 2006

Martha Who? Me! Me! Meme, that's Who!

What the hell is a meme? I had no idea until Kristen over at Cookie Crumbles gave me the tag. I don't recall ever responding to one of these via e-mail but it is a new year after all. Though I'm totally challenged to find ten things that nobody knows about me... here is the college try:

Ten Things You Never Knew About Me

1. I saw the New Kids on the Block live in concert. Twice. When I was old enough to know better.

2. In 6th grade I deliberately misspelled a word in a county spelling bee in jr high school so that I could avoid the pressures of advancing the State spelling bee. It had been 60 minutes in gridlocked final spell off with an intimidating 8th grader from another district (oh where are ye now Scott Chelidona?), and I couldn't take it anymore. The word I took the fall on? "Trove" (which I spelled as "Trough" which caused a brief controversy when the judges thought I had misheard the bee-master and wanted to give me another word. I had to remind them I asked for a sentence and a definition. It nearly blew up in my face). I felt a bit idiotic. But that sense of relief in the car on the way home... well it's a euphoria I will remember forever. I misspelled words on purpose in the 7th ("Proponent") and 8th grade ("Parallel") school spelling bees so that I'd never have to advance beyond school, district, or county again.

3. I had never eaten (or heard of) tortilla chips and salsa until I went to college. I grew up in rural Maine in the 80's. Dorito's were ethnic food.

4. I once interviewed the band, Collective Soul, when I was a DJ on my college radio station. I found out about the interview 15 minutes before they showed up. I had never heard of Collective Soul. I was DJ-ing a jazz program.

5. A roommate and I used to house-sit for a DC family with an enormous and lovely house in NorthWest and a menagerie of pets. On separate occasions, the following happened: all of the fish in their tank died. Their Golden Retriever had a stroke. We got locked out of the house and had to call a locksmith. The hamster died. The dog broke his front leg while on a very gentle walk in the park. We started a small fire in the kitchen. There was an intruder on the lawn and we had to call the police. And on the last time I house sat alone while mom and the kids were visiting family in France, dad came home from his "business trip" and slept in the basement while I was upstairs living in his house. I think there was a "le divorce" soon after that. We never saw them again.

6. I am about to embark on a massive re-write of a musical version of The Scarlet Letter (stay tuned...)

7. In 2002 I lost 30+ pounds after visiting a vegetarian health spa that literally changed my life. The following year, when I was 9+ months pregnant with my daughter, I never hit that 2002 pre-spa weight.

8. I have a chronic and legendary problem with losing my house keys. This condition peaked in the 90's when I was living with my best roommate in Washington DC. Perhaps the subject of another post entirely, those madcap years were full of broken doorknobs, angry landlords, midnight scalings of three story buildings to reach unlocked windows... My roommate bought, as a joke, an incredibly cool key holder made out of an old door, with an antique doorknob in the middle of it. Ten years later it is still in my life, the only thing separating me from a long term contract with a locksmith.

9. I will do nearly anything, and at almost any physiological cost, to keep from vomiting. I will suffer for hours, days, "willing" the nausea away rather than take the instant (and probably better) relief of actually expelling the badness. I also almost never take any medications, and have a pain threshhold higher than most people I know.

10. Even in the age of Tivo, I still don't answer the phone on Thursday evenings when Survivor is on. Sad, but true.

OK. So I think the deal is I'm supposed to "tag" 5 new people. I'm not sure I have deep personal relationships with very many other bloggers ... so there will be some familiar faces and some long shots. Pony up friends -- be a team player!

1. My favorite Bourgeois Deviant (do it for bananas)
2. Mr. CheckyPantz (love your show, babe)
3. Yo Ambro! (it's about time I start linking to your blog anyway! :-)
4. LuckySpinster (maybe I'll send YOU a bumper sticker...)
5. El Guapo (Dios mio! if you haven't read this guys' blog, you must start...)

Let the wild rumpus begin.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As many people do from time to time they "google" their name just to see what might come up. Though I hardly found my name anywhere it was quite suprising to see it in this reference. What a small strange world we live in! Hardly even remembered that spelling bee!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Martha Who? said...

Oh how funny!!!! I will NEVER forget that spelling bee as long as I live. :) You were a worthy opponent to be sure! Hope life has been kind.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where are you living at this time in life? Life is good--beautiful wife-wonderful kids-who could ask for more! Living in Maryland at this time-miss New England and Maine especially!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home