Martha Who?

or...who really has it all, while keeping it all together?

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

If She Wears Her Hair in Curls, Then Every Woman in America Wears Her Hair in Curls

How fellow blograts pop up when you least expect it: tonight at Ragtime rehearsal I found out that the our dance coach gal playing Evelyn Nesbitt just started a blog herself. We are keeping the peace in the alto ensemble, and I will be playing one of her back up dancers. And to top it off, she is a writing student, and to REALLY top it off, she was actually reading a copy of The Scarlet Letter for a comp class.

Just wanted to send over my cyber support to this gifted young lady -- and to offer three pieces of advice:

1. Keep on writing -- write every day even if you think you have nothing to write about. Keeps the creative juices flowing. The blog can be a helpful outlet.

2. Keep on reading -- The Scarlet Letter is a beautiful American novel, that often gets the shaft because of the Custom House intro. While it's rich in historical context, that chapter is somewhat disconnected from the rest of the book and it's a real dog to get through. But once you get past that, oh what treasures! (I mean, Puritan Sex -- what's better than that?)

and MOST IMPORTANTLY:

3. Go easy on me in dance rehearsal next Wednesday. The last time I danced on stage was about 12 years, 15 pounds and one baby ago.


Hugs,
MW

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha Who? said...

Hiya,
I spent a good many years directing and stage managing childrens summer theatre ... and 12 year old girls just crack me up. They are a special breed. ;) But they just need someone to step in and LEAD them (I'm not that person at ALL -- it's not my place after all, but a little pushing goes a long way, you know?) :)

And you are TOTALLY right. The 50 year olds are WORSE. Not like we're performing at Lincoln Center, but COME ON ladies... don't waste my time!

I know you're focused. A kindred spirit. See ya next week!

--MW

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home