Martha Who?

or...who really has it all, while keeping it all together?

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Letter from my Daughter to: Harriet Miers

Dear Ms. Miers,

Your Senate confirmation hearings are set to begin in, like, two weeks, and I am so nervous for you! And I don't mean in the way that I would be if it was my friend up on the stand and I want her to do well... I mean that I am nervous in the way I was when I watched the American Idol auditions at the start of last season. As interesting as it is to watch, my stomach hurts just imagining the humiliation you will put yourself through. As a fellow human being, I already feel sick thinking about it.

As a fellow woman, I am sick as well. Now should be the time to rejoice that a woman is nominated to fill the Court seat being vacated by a woman, and instead I am confused and annoyed at how someone with your credentials came to be in this position.

I was similarly skeptical when John Roberts was nominated for the first vacancy, and then, the Chief Justice seat. I really wanted to hate his guts just on the grounds that he was a young white republican man judge. But gosh darn it if he didn't impress us with his brains, his experience and his ability to make me believe that he is going to be a very clear thinker, and use his vast knowledge of the law, the Constitution, and the annals of legal precedent in his new post, rather than being guided by a personal agenda or a political ideology.

But your nomination keeps me awake at night. The fact that you lack any meaningful experience with Constitutional Law, or as a judge makes me feel that you will have to rely upon other existing biases, opinions, and sympathies you already have formed.

All anyone knows about you is that our President thinks you're a really nice lady, and that you have Jesus Christ in your heart. While those are good folks to have on your side (The leader of the free world, and The Lord Almighty I mean), I'm not sure they are two people that I want on the bench right next to you while you weighing in on everything from interstate commerce to capital punishment.

I want to know that you will decide cases with an open mind and with our Constitution always at hand. I want to know that you will consider the health and safety of women (and men) first, before you attempt to rule against or overturn existing laws designed to protect our health and safety. I want to know that you are not just a trained monkey who will live out her Court tenure in a manner that is tribute or repayment to the trained monkey that nominated you for the seat.

I will be waiting on the edge of my seat in the meantime, with my stomach in it's American Idol knots feeling your pain, while hoping that the Senate does not confirm you. I'll be my mom's age -- or older!! -- before you die or retire from the bench. And unlike an Idol reject who fades into obscurity after their 30 seconds of fame, the decisions and tenor you bring to the US Supreme Court will impact my life for the next 30 years and beyond.

I hope you will consider withdrawing from consideration.

Barring that, here's hoping you'll be Bork-ed.
MRK

4 Comments:

Blogger Bourgeois Deviant said...

If only instant kharma could get her and the twit who nomintated her, like, together in the rose garden on national tv. I do so love spontaneous combustions.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Martha Who? said...

Sha-ZAM! I'm, like, SO there, bro.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't blame her. Bush probably got stumped because research involves reading and shit. So instead he closed his eyes and said the next person to walk through that door will get the nomination. All in all we did pretty well, cause I heard that the janitor arrived shortly after Ms. Miers.

Craig

10:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah's Mama said...

Hug your daughter for me please! Smart girl!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home